Sunday 2 October 2011

Dip, drip and tick

Dave A found yet another rare along the East Lothian coast on Friday - an adult White-rumped Sandpiper at Musselburgh. I thought that I had no chance of seeing it but I managed to squeeze a quick trip down to the lagoons on Saturday afternoon to find that it had flown off, presumably to feed on the sands.

Spurred on by the disappointment of dipping I got up early this morning and managed another quick trip to Musselburgh before attending a meeting in central Edinburgh for the day. Despite the pouring rain, the White-rumped Sandpiper was feeding with Dunlin and a single Curlew Sandpiper. The light was terrible, the optics were steamy, and time was very short. Still glad I made the effort as this American vagrant was a Lothian and Scottish tick for me!


White-rumped Sandpiper (right of centre) with Dunlin in pouring rain and heavy cloud - so much for the heatwave!

No comments: